Thursday, June 25, 2009

Picture of the week

Ok, this should be fun! I've decided to dedicate to my blog, one day a week, as PICTURE OF THE WEEK day... I'm going to pick a picture out of the masses and post it and write a little something about it. Sooooo, here goes

This is Evy in the ER at the Martha Jefferson Hospital. He had swallowed a penny. The saga goes as follows:


Ean started his 1st day of 6th grade at Louisa County Middle School. I was very jittery about this new stage in his life. Not because he was starting middle school, but because of the bus ride he will endure the rest of his school days. He was boarding the school bus at 6:40am that morning and not getting off that un-airconditioned bus until 4:20pm. That's a long day for my little guy. And if that wasn't bad enough, it's the same route I took from 6th grade on, and it wasn't that long ago that I don't remember all the trouble we stirred up to and fro. Gladly enough, Ean survived his 1st day of middle school and actually enjoyed the bus, the driver and the ride! Thank you God!


Allen was into his 4th or so week of training for Embarq, in Wake Forest, North Carolina. He would be gone for 12 weeks... Even though he was able to come home on weekends, that didn't lighten the load or help with the daily goings on here... I had chatted with him about 4:30pm, when he got back to the hotel from class.


It was about 8:00pm and I was on the patio, chatting on the phone. Out runs Evan, eyes bugging out of his head, look of horror on his face, crying hysterically.

"What's wrong"? I practically scream.

"I got a penny stuck in my throat", he is barely understandable. He's sweating, drooling and just plain out freaking! I couldn't believe what I was hearing or seeing! I pick him up and take him into the kitchen and try water, maybe it'll go down. Nope. I try a small crust of bread, I remember getting choked on an ice cube when I was 8 and did the bread thing and it worked. Not this time. I quick call Mom, she runs over. Evan is totally panicking now. I call 911, they tell me to take him myself to the ER because by the time the squad gets here, I could have him up there already. So, out we go...
I tried and tried to get in touch with Allen in NC. I know, there was NOTHING he could do, but I needed to hear his voice. I needed to hear him tell me our baby boy was going to be ok. I couldn't get him. I ended up calling one of his co-worker's spouse to tell her to tell Allen to call me. I knew they were all out together eating. Needless to say, by this point I was ballistic! When he called, and said they were at a Chinese restaurant in Raleigh I lost it! I know he couldn't help it, but I just felt so alone and needless to say, SCARED to death! As I was pretty much cussing him out, into the ER entrance we skidded.
I got out and went to the carseat to get Evy. His shirt was soaked from drool, he had said NOTHING all the way to the hospital. He was terrified, as were Mom and I! Mom parked the truck as I ran in with him whimpering in my arms. In triage, they asked all the regular questions, then took his blood pressure, then ushered us VERY swiftly into a room in the ER.
I had put Evan down so the nurse could check him over and then she went out to get the doctor. As Evan climbed onto the bed...He looked up at me and said the sweetest (and 1st words since he swallowed the penny). "Mommy, that penny went down into my tummy"... Mom and I both, finally breathed! As he was climbing into the bed and was flipping over from his knees onto his backside, I guess he jarred himself enough to jar the penny out of his throat! Sure enough, the doctor x-rayed him and there it was, big as life, in his tummy!
Whew...what an evening! The doctor said it would pass... I couldn't help but think of the old saying--THIS TOO SHALL PASS. I thanked God for all His marvelous and plentiful blessings on my family and most importantly for saving my precious baby boy! Then I called Allen and told him the good news...and apologized...


God is Love--Peace Out

2 comments:

  1. Oooooh my goodness, poor guy! That is so scary when you don't know what the heck to do, whether the thing is gonna lodge in the windpipe or what. What an awful feeling! I had to laugh at you cussing Allen out, though; I would've done the same thing...ROFL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. shew--I was worried that folks would think I was a total WITCH! (who am I kidding, I only have 3 followers, LOL) But I was hot! He was eating delcious food, with friends, at the best mall in Raleigh, no less and I was dealing w/ this and I couldn't get in touch with him! I showed off! No lie--I think my Mom was even a little disappointed w/ my actions! lol! Thanks for not hating me!

    ReplyDelete