Thursday, June 18, 2009

Loyalties

So, I get a call from my MawMaw yesterday... what a bummer of a call it was...

When my Mom and I were over there last week, I asked MawMaw if she'd like to do a trade. She has this groovy, funky green velveteen chair in her tv room. Her tv room is blue. I have a nice blue chair in my bedroom. I love the funky green chair. It would be super in my new office. So, I suggested that I give her my blue chair for her green one. She was on board! Yippee--I was stoked!

My aunt was in for a little visit with my MawMaw and the rest of the crew for a few days. This aunt and I have never been remotely close. This aunt has a major chip on her shoulder toward me. Truly, I have never figured it out. The only iota of a clue that I have about that is that she knows that JoAnne (my paternal aunt) and I are extremely close and that must bother her. Mind you, this aunt has never attempted to have any sort of relationship with me. One of the most vivid memories I have of her, is at Christmas one year when I was probably 12 or 13, her looking at my cousins and I in utter disgust saying "I hope my kids don't turn out like yall"... (I'm kinda smiling right now, cuz poetic justice hit hard with her 2 kids) Anyho, this aunt is the family "pot stirrer", among other things.

Back to the 2 minute long phone call with MawMaw.
me--HELLO
MawMaw--ANGIE???? WHAT ARE YOU DOING?
me--NOTHING, WHAT ARE YOU DOING?
MawMaw--LAYING IN BED, LISTEN, I HATE TO BE THE ONE TO TELL YOU THIS, BUT I CAN'T GIVE YOU THAT CHAIR.
me--OK
MawMaw--DALTON'S GONNA BE ON THE RADIO TOMORROW.
me--UH HUH
MawMaw--WHAT'S THE BOYS DOING?
me--THEY ARE DOWNSTAIRS.
MawMaw--WELL, LIKE I SAID, I CAN'T GIVE YOU THAT CHAIR.
me--WHAT'S GOING ON? WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?
MawMaw--SOMEBODY TOLD ME THAT I CAN'T GIVE ANYTHING AWAY, CUZ THAT'S WHAT JOHN SAID, HE SAID AFTER HE DIES NOTHING IS LEAVING THIS HOUSE, IF SOMEBODY WANTS SOMETHING THEY'VE GOTTA BUY IT AT THE SALE. SO, DON'T BE MAD AT ME.
me--WHATEVER
MawMaw--OK, BYE

I sat there looking at the phone in disbelief. I know you're probably wondering about this "sale". See, in my Mom's family, they have a big auction when someone dies. Nothing is ever left to anyone. If someone wants a family heirloom they have to purchase it at this auction. Then the proceeds from the auction is split between the surviving children of the deceased. Not the grandchildren, either! (let's keep that straight) So, for example, my mother has to BUY items that she's grown up with from an auctioneer after MawMaw passes away, but I guess in someones mind that's all good, cuz Mom will get a 1/3 of that money back... I think it's the most shameful and greedy thing ever. Of course, like in a lot of families, there's favored ones. Needless to say, I'm NOT a favored one in this clan! One of my cousins has my grandfather's easy chair, a stereo and a rad kitchen cabinet from MawMaw--just given to her! I can't even do a tradesy... ugh! I'm so chapped! I'm also hurt! I'm certain the aunt, you know the one with the BIG WART on the end of her nose, has something to do with MawMaw's change of heart. Everything was a-ok, till she came in, wart and all!

So what to do... I wanted to call MawMaw back and say, "hey, you aren't GIVING me anything, we're trading, remember", I wanted to call warty aunt and tell her to stick the chair up her skinny butt sideways. Instead, I've done nothing. I did call my 1 cousin (Tonya), the only family member from my Mom's clan that I am close to and tell her about it and bitch to her about the unfairness and ridiculousness of it all (and felt better too). I, of course, called Mom and raised cain about it! I'm not sure what to do or say, if anything, from here on out to MawMaw. ugh...

My sweet, thoughtful and protective hubster told me tonight that he'd buy me a green chair for my office! Man, I love that boy!

Oh, I asked Mom again, Do you see why my loyalties lie with the Birckheads? Do you see why they always have?

God is Love--Peace Out

3 comments:

  1. Oooohhh, Ang. Sigh. Family. Sometimes ya just wanna strangle 'em, huh? I know. Been there. Sorry :o(

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, the sale is just a bunch of crap!! It will only make the rich richer and poor poorer. I will tell you one thing, I will not be BUYING anything!! I have enough to buy grocheries for the fam, much less "price less" heirlooms. There is now way I can slither my way into getting something for free. So I guess I will sit back here on my deck and watch strangers with moving trailers hauling the memories of my childhood away!! PEACE OUT

    ReplyDelete